If you feel like you are in thick fog and are struggling to decipher the mysteries of FAA Airspace regulations as they apply to sUAS operations, you are not alone.
The following is a simplified poster version of the 2017 FAA Airspace chart with some additional operational flight information and rules (click on image for full size).
As for the operational part, here are my top 10 pointers:
- Don’t fly over people (§ 107.39)
- Stay below 400’
- Maintain a visual line of sight to the aircraft (§ 107.31), unless you have a BVLOS waiver
- Don’t fly after sunset (§ 107.29) unless you have an night waiver
- Don’t fly in inclement weather
- Be mindful of privacy and the invasive nature of sUAS based photography
- Get permission before flying over public, private, or commercial spaces
- Obey the “8 hours bottle to throttle” law
- Consult and study your area sectional chart before flying
- Always perform a site survey and physical risk assessment before taking to the air
© Copyright 2017 Yaacov Apelbaum, All Rights Reserved.
Second day of the WCS and we have been demoing the City Falcon, a Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles platform designed especially to operate in crowded urban environments.
Standard features include:
- Low RPM brushless motors
- All weather operational capability
- Fully autonomous flight and support for complex orchestrations
- Customization for multi radio frequencies
- Fire resistant design
- Long range video transmission (over 5 miles)
- Custom sensor payloads for CBRNE with a customized cellular modem connectivity
- RT integration with a cloud based reporting platform
In addition to all of the above, the sUAS also supports specialty custom payloads like environmental, chemical sensors, airborne Stingray, and concurrent day/night cameras.
Operational demonstrations included:
- Flight through high heat sources (Oil tank fire of over 450º F)
- Operating in high wind and high turbulence environments
- Evaluation of crowd formation and people flow
- Autonomous operations and in-flight re-tasking
- Stalking multiple targets of interest
- Real-time video object classification on edge device
- Patrolling and inspections of a chemical plant and sampling hazardous substances in real time
© Copyright 2014 Yaacov Apelbaum. All Rights Reserved.