If you feel like you are in thick fog and are struggling to decipher the mysteries of FAA Airspace regulations as they apply to sUAS operations, you are not alone.
The following is a simplified poster version f the current FAA Airspace chart with some additional operational flight information and rules (click on image for full size).
As for the operational part, here are my top 10 pointers:
- Don’t fly over people (§ 107.39)
- Stay below 400’
- Maintain a visual line of sight to the aircraft (§ 107.31), unless you have a BVLOS waiver
- Don’t fly after sunset (§ 107.29) unless you have an night waiver
- Don’t fly in inclement weather
- Be mindful of privacy and the invasive nature of sUAS based photography
- Get permission before flying over public, private, or commercial spaces
- Obey the “8 hours bottle to throttle” law
- Consult and study your area sectional chart before flying
- Always perform a site survey and physical risk assessment before taking to the air
© Copyright 2017 Yaacov Apelbaum, All Rights Reserved.